Saturday, December 23, 2006

And this little piggy went Wii, Wii, Wii . . .

Is it only me . . . or did consumer madness reach an all time high this year? My children wanted a 'wee-wee'; my nickname for the new Nintendo game system, Wii. Actually, wanted is too tame a word. After seeing the latest Toys-R-Eating up all of my disposable income-Us catalogue they started salivating and speaking in tongues. The chidren in question include my nine year old son, my thirteen year old son, and my oldest 'child', a forty-three year old bald guy on a mission to recapture his misspent youth.

The 'wee-wee' turned into this Christmas season's 'Tickle-Me-Elmo'. Remember that one? The adorable(?) Sesame Street character that caused seemingly rational adults to froth at the mouth and jump up and down in the aisles at K-mart like a bunch of crazed baboons fighting over the last banana. I've heard there is a new model out; a sort of an Elmo on steroids. The perfect gift for a child with parents you don't like very much!

Now it's the Wii. Everywhere you turn, people were pestering frazzled looking clerks, "When's the next shipment coming in??? What do you mean you only got four in? But I've been standing in line since last Tuesday!!" My husband called one retailer who said they were only supplied with one at time and so, with a uncharacteristic display of holiday cheer and generosity, they were asking for a $1,000. Imagine! A gaming system worth a couple of hundred dollars going for a grand! My husband might be a 40+ teenager, but I'm sure that clerk will be hearing echoes of his derisive laughter well into the new year.

Regardless, it is sad to say that we bought into the hype in the first place. What makes it particularly disturbing is that we already HAVE two gaming systems. Now, I'm as neurotic as the next person but since when does it make sense for a family to have three game controllers per person? Why is it necessary for two young children to have more Gamecube and Playstation games then they have books? And why, most importantly, can't I get Princess Peach to beat Donkey Kong when playing Mario Cart?

Yes, in the coming weeks the hysteria will fade, the Wii stock will be replenished, and our family will join the Boxing day/week/month consumers to make our late Christmas purchase. The system will be set up within minutes. The children will wrestle for the right to who goes first. The big bald kid will win. The 43 year old will then engage in a spirited session with the interactive bowling game necessitating yet another trip to the electronics store . . . for a new television.

Happy holidays!

No comments: